Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Forever Family

February is the month we celebrate the adoption of our little Nicholas. What a day for our family! We were so excited to have him become a permanent member of our family but also scared at what would lie ahead. Through lots of therapy we learned that he had RAD (reactive attachment disorder). We were relieved to find out what was actually wrong and why his behaviors were so extreme. But, we also were given the information on how much work it would be to raise a child with RAD. Fortunately for us we knew all of this before our adoption. We did not go into this blindly like so many others have. There have been days that I have wondered If I am really the woman that he needs as his mother. Am I strong enough? Can I give him the unconditional love he needs, regardless of how many hurtful things he says or does to me? Can I forgive him every single day? Then I always come back to the fact that I cannot do this alone. This is bigger than me or my husband or any therapist. It is only with God's help that I am able to be compassionate, forgiving, patient, and give unconditional love to this little boy. God placed Nicholas in our lives to teach us. To teach us that even when things seem impossible...God is bigger than impossible! Here he is three years later, living happily in our home, going to school with other "normal" children, showing compassion, saying he loves us, giving us hugs and kisses, coming to us for comfort when he is hurting. These things are nothing less than a miracle! With that huge Nicholas smile, I can see he knows how much we care. Even if he is unable to show it at times. We love him beyond words. Here is a slide show in celebration of our adoption of our son, Nicholas Gabriel...our treasure that is forever revealing Gods love for us.






2 comments:

Shell said...

Thanks so much for sharing Hollie... Made my day.

Brie said...

What an uplifting slideshow :) Love the verse you chose and he just makes me smile!